Track closed for asphalt repair

This is a temporary forum to be used for all topics related to the new track and it's construction
newson48
First Name: Blake and Mark
Last Name: Newson
City/Town: Calgary

Track closed for asphalt repair

Post by newson48 »

In case anyone misses the red banner on our homepage, the track needs to be closed at the moment for asphalt repair.
With the AMRA nationals this coming weekend, we need to make sure the surface is in good shape.
Keep watching the website for updates.
Senior Rotax #48

Chancery24
First Name: Ray
Last Name: Lord

Re: Track closed for asphalt repair

Post by Chancery24 »

What will be involved in this "repair" operation? And other that staying off the track, is there anything I as a club member can do to help?

Ray Lord
Rotax Masters #94
Ray Lord
Rotax Masters
CRG Road Rebel #94

newson48
First Name: Blake and Mark
Last Name: Newson

Post by newson48 »

Ray

Thanks for the offer. I will contact Tony Illing and see what you or anyone else can do.
Tony is handling this repair as well as putting in many hours at the track doing a number of things for the club.

Blake
Senior Rotax #48

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

It is worth pointing out that Tony was at the track both days this weekend but he wasn't racing, he was working on the facility.

If we could get a few more members to dedicate some time to push things forward it would really help.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Tony
First Name: Tony
Last Name: Illing
City/Town: calgary

Post by Tony »

So the track should be OPEN for T&T Tuesday June 30 after Noon.

We are going to test the ASNCANADA recommended track repair procedure that they use to fix a track during an event.

They patch the track with a BASF concrete patching product and return to racing within 45 minutes.

There are a number of other "asphalt" track patching products available that you can find online that might work better (search on race track asphalt repair) - though it is hard to find any testimonials for any of them. Nathan with NorthStar is recommending some of these as a permanent solution, along with milling the area out first, and this may well be the ultimate solution.

However karts are extremely hard on race tracks - the first kart pulls the aggregate slightly within the strength /elasticity of the bitumen that binds it - then the next kart following pulls it a little further and the next a little further until the track is literally puled apart. It happened at Varsity in the heat too.

Asphalt patch products are not always the preferred method - the track for the 2010 Daytona 500 is said to have been repaired with Bondo.

The BASF product is on the shelf in town and it should be installed tomorrow morning - ready for T&T in the afternoon/evening.

Would ask that date and time stamped digital pictures are taken of the repairs before and after any track use so that we can monitor the status of the repairs.
Last edited by Tony on Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Thanks to Tony Illing, track repairs are already complete and the track is now open for T&T but will need to be swept.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Tony

Post by Tony »

The track is patched in 3 areas where the breakup was most significant.
Monitoring 2 other areas where the damage was less excessive and many other places around the track where the breakup was just starting.
The guys at Test and Tune Tuesday night swept the track and the repairs are standing up well.
We don't know how well these patches will stand up over time and when more than half a dozen karts are using the track.
But so far so good and we will be exploring other long term solutions.

Jim_Broadbent
First Name: Jim
Last Name: Broadbent

Post by Jim_Broadbent »

I would like to toss my hat into the volunteer ring as far as monitoring the track is concerned. My camera can be set to take real close-up shots and I would be happy to develop a series of photos of the repairs.

If you wish I can come out Thursday morning (I will check this forum first) and get some baseline pics of areas of concern. It would be good to do this before the AMRA races on the weekend. After taking these baseline pics I would continue the photo monitoring before and after each CKRC race.

Tony

Post by Tony »

Thanks Jim - that will be a big help going forward

conedoctor
First Name: Matt
Last Name: Howe
City/Town: Chestermere

Post by conedoctor »

Would you be able to tell me what the product is and where to get it?

Matt