2024 Discussion Topics - Need some responses before the start of the race season

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
rob_slv
First Name: Robert
Last Name: Slivinski
City/Town: Calgary

Re: 2024 Discussion Topics - Need some responses before the start of the race season

Post by rob_slv »

Fellow VLR Racers,

With only 1 week left to go until Race#1 I suggest that we put up the two items to a vote.

1) Do we keep the current sup regs for as Coop 91 octane?
Yes or No

2) Limited sets of tires to 3 sets per season, excluding North of 49?
Yes or No

Please respond as soon as possible.

Thank you,
Rob

evannadeau
First Name: Evan
Last Name: Nadeau

Re: 2024 Discussion Topics - Need some responses before the start of the race season

Post by evannadeau »

Someone mentioned that the manual states 95 octane. Is it possible this is a bad translation, and it would be the Euro 95 RON, which translates to our 91 Octane. If anyone can find an Italian manual, we could verify this.

I never had fuel issues and ran with max timing, but I also always ran 5% oil. If open fuel gets more people out racing, then;
my vote is for open

I do think 3 sets is a reasonable amount in a season for club racing. I'm still on my first-ever set of tires. I used them for two NO49, TnT's, and a few club races. Again, if no limit on tires gets more people racing, then;
My vote is no limit
VLR #42

Brian Turner
First Name: Brian
Last Name: Turner
City/Town: crossfield

Post by Brian Turner »

I'll vote fuel open to see if enemy body does it for a comparison and vote open for tiers I feel 3 sets is just one set short

Gymezee
First Name: James
Last Name: MacFarlane

Post by Gymezee »

I vote 4 sets and open fuel

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

evannadeau wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 1:24 pm Someone mentioned that the manual states 95 octane. Is it possible this is a bad translation, and it would be the Euro 95 RON, which translates to our 91 Octane. If anyone can find an Italian manual, we could verify this.
That was me. It's not bad translation but rather that the Italians have a reputation for not being specific. The manual merely states "95 octane", which, as you point out, is measured differently in Europe.

I spoke with Joey at Overdrive because he is the one with the most experience seeing engines that have been run on just pump gas and just race fuel. He tells me that hes not seen any evidence of detonation on the pump gas motors.

It should be noted though that Canada is succumbing to the US mentality that Ethanol is a good idea somehow and its affecting our octane ratings. On a hot day when the altitude density is lower, it is conceivable that we could see some detonation depending on a host of factors.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

M1llwright
First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Schemenauer

Post by M1llwright »

Thank you Rob for trying to start this conversation as you did, early enough for changes to be considered and put into the regs. I guess we all got excited on race day and failed to follow procedures so that as of right now we are back to last years regs and some of us cheated by using race fuel in the final. ( I for one am sorry but I lost anyway so the fuel couldn't have been that good!!)

I am grateful for this as it gives me a chance to add a suggested change that is much more important in my mind, that is the class weight. I would like to see it increased, when I roll across the scales there is a larger delta between me and the minimum than there is between masters and seniors! feel free to comment.