RotaxMax Masters class

Forum rules
The forums are a place for open discussion of karting topics. Please respect the opinions of others. No name calling, abuse, bashing etc. of any sort will be tolerated and offending posts will be removed and offenders sanctioned at the discretion of the webmaster or the executive. All posted materials, text, etc. become the property of the CKRC and may be displayed or removed at the discretion of the CKRC.
John Kwong
First Name: John
Last Name: Kwong
City/Town: Calgary

RotaxMax Masters class

Post by John Kwong »

There have been several past attempts to get this going and whether there was a stigma attached to it or just lack of initiative to get it implemented it hasn't happened at the club level so far. Appararently, there have been more rumblings of this again, so let's use this forum to see if it is going to go anywhere. First a little information. The WCC regional series has run a Masters designation class, I think the last 2 years with the Masters running separately only on one occasion in Calgary 2009. The EDKRA Fall Classic ran a Master's division last year where Rotax Senior and Master's ran together. In the UK from what I have researched so far, they run a heavy class called Rotax177 class which is a kart and driver weight of 177kg (390lbs). Here are some questions to help explore if this is what members of our club need or want.

1. If there was a Master's class would you run in it?
2. Would you want it to run separately or within the regular Rotax class?
3.If the Master's class ran within the regular Rotax class, would you want to be gridded by your time/earned position or at the back as one grid of karts by your respective positions.
4. What should the minimum age cutoff be? (RMCGF is 32)
5. Can a minimum body weight(190lbs) be used as well if under the Master's designated age to qualify as a Master's driver?

John K
John Kwong___CIR Realty___403-714-5583
www.johnkwong.ca
http://kartopractor.weebly.com/

thughes
First Name: Terry
Last Name: Hughes

Re: RotaxMax Masters class

Post by thughes »

Ha john, I would race in this class if the club run it. the 4 stroke is fairly slow and with my weight ready for a move up. it looks like we are the only club , that does not run this class, lets bring it on this summer.

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

I think there are 2 kinds of people who want a masters class: those who are penalized by their weight in the regular Rotax class -and those who hope that a masters class would be comprised of more seasoned racers who are interested in a less carnage-filled race day. Of course, some might be interested for BOTH those reasons.

Personally, I'd be interested for the latter. BUT....

1) We couldn't get enough people to run it as a class by itself -at least not right now.
2) Running it as it's own class would 'rob' the regular Rotax grid which, while healthy, wouldn't do well with 1/3 (?) fewer racers on a regular basis.
3) I've already got 30-something pounds of lead on my kart -going to 390lbs is prohibitive.

Maybe at some point in the future, if the Rotax class becomes so large that we're splitting grids, we could look at a masters class as a way of 'thinning the heard' enough so as not to have to split grids. Never say never, but I doubt I'd race in it then either, due to the weight issue.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter

Fred
First Name: Fred
Last Name: Causer

Post by Fred »

A interesting topic that comes and goes and Mark your last comment does have a major impact on if drivers would move to the Masters class if they would have to bolt on a whole bunch more of lead. Perhaps we just have a Rotax Light and Heavy class ? Maybe we could have an Odds and Evens class ? The point I am trying to make is just because you are in a Masters class does not mean that there is going to be a better driving standard, some of the drivers who have more than their fair share of crashes or incidents are probably eligable for that class any way. I think the issue of bad driving is not only a thing that should be dealt with by officials but the class drivers are also responsible for policing their fellow competitors. This is something that I have discussed with other members and I have indicated that I would be willing to attend a class meeting to discuss these problems.
The only way you would get a reasonable grid in Masters would be for the class to mandate that at the Masters age break you have to race in the Masters class, but I know there would be many "Masters" that would reject that right out
Perhaps we should start recruiting at Old Folks homes lol
So any suggestions !!!

Mark
First Name: Mark
Last Name: Hillier

Post by Mark »

Point well taken.

I was working on the premise that given the much smaller grid, anyone likely to go to a Masters' class would be willing to forgo the grid size in exchange for less carnage; and, by extension that it would be unlikely that the principal carnage causers would be willing to make that sacrifice.

As to the weight issue, I am in a VERY small minority -and I accept that. I weigh 145 pounds; add a few for suit and helmet and I'm a good 15 - 20 lbs lighter than most.

I would be curious to know how many racers are adding any lead at all at the present weight levels. I'm guessing it's less than 25%. Of those who are, I think the majority would be those who were juniors in the last few years.
Mark Hillier #44 VLR Senior, Shifter